Assignment Options (this is in-progress and subject to change - email me if you would like to discuss):
You will receive training in class the following approaches so that you may select the assignment best suited to your interests and abilities. You will have the option of contributing your work to an online, open-access, co-authored collection on decolonizing educational research in Germany that will be a resource for other students, faculty, and administrators. Your assignment will be one of the following:
• A critical essay that reflects on some aspect of your schooling and/or research experience and draws on relevant literature to analyze your insights (3000 words);
• A PhotoVoice essay consisting of your photographs paired with your critical reflections, both on some facet of the course topic. (8-10 photos and 1500 words);
• A focus group held outside of class time and organized by 2-3 seminar participants on a question related to the topic of this seminar and with 4-6 student participants. You will record the focus group, transcribe the recording, and code and analyze the data. You will write a research brief with your findings and recommendations. (1500-word research brief);
• A re-designed or original lesson for use in schools that includes a rationale for your lesson that draws on relevant literature (lesson documents + 2500 word analysis);
• A critique of a school or university policy document with recommendations for future action. (3000 words).