- Bitte beachten Sie, dass dieser Kurs nur online verfügbar sein wird. Alle Lehrveranstaltungen werden mit Zoom und Lernrnraum+ durchgeführt./Please note that this course will be online only. All lessons will be given using Zoom and Lernrnraum+.
(formerly known as "Get Fluent!")
This is most probably not the English you remember from school. This is a fun, interactive (and sometimes entertaining), mixed-format/mixed-media class designed to help participants achieve greater fluency in English, with a particular focus on speaking and listening (rather than an emphasis on grammar and structure, although grammar reviews are offered).
By utilizing topical discussion and group work along with a rich assortment of media resources (i.e. podcasts, Internet video and audio) as a starting point, participants will learn and practice a variety of interactive oral formats as well as increase their lexical competence in English. This class is aimed at students who have years and years of school English experience and are looking for something else and are interested in a non-traditional, non-frontal language-learning environment. This class is not for everyone, but if you are interested, sign up, fasten your seat belts and get ready for a thrilling ride on the Get Fluent Express.
This class is an attempt at a quasi-flipped classroom.
VERY IMPORTANT:' Please note that there are three different sections of this class (blue, red, and green). Each section is the same style theme-based survey class that focuses on fluency, however each section has different material. As a result, there is no order in which the 3 sections need to be taken. The only restriction is that each section can only be attended once. What is important is that you do not sign up for a class you have already attended.
The topics we will discuss will be:
1. Drug legalization / prohibition
2. Celebrity status
3. Guns in the US
4. Cultural Minorities (pressures) and assimilation
5. Politeness in Anglo-Saxon Culture
6. The Role of Technology in Society
7. Work vs. Personal Fulfilment
8. Sex Roles in the Workplace
9. AI and Technological Threats
10. Style and Fashion
11. Environmental Protection
12. Status of Education
13. National Identity / Populism / National Service