English for Students of Business and Economics
The course aims to:
• develop your comprehension of business terms and economic concepts;
• develop listening skills in the field of business and economics;
• provide you with opportunities to gain some confidence in speaking English by talking about business concepts, by summarizing texts and by role play.
• focus on business areas and functions like telephoning and social English, negotiations and (job) applications.
Students are taught to develop their skills in:
Reading which includes skimming text, guessing unknown words, recognizing arguments, main information and supporting details; summarizing and note taking.
Speaking, including agreeing and disagreeing, questioning, clarifying and negotiating.
Presentation skills, making short presentations in front of the class, including preparing and using visual aids.
• Adapted materials will be used in class, linked to various topic areas.
• Topic-based self-access resources (authentic print, audio and video)
In order to gain credit points (2) students are expected to attend regularly, to prepare and present one presentation of a topic of their choice, and to carry out various internet research tasks.