This writing course is intended for English writers who already have a firm grasp on the language, but need to get their writing up to a higher standard. Students who have to write essays or other works for their classes, or who hope to do so soon, are invited to attend.
This course is open to all language levels, but a B2 level or higher is recommended.
The course will be held in 7 four-hour blocks. There will be a combination of class meetings, group work, and autonomous work. All meetings and group work will be held on Zoom, and materials and assignments will be on Lernraum+.
Schedule of meetings: 6 November, 20 November, 4 December, 18 December, 8 January, 22 January, 5 February
Topics covered: (subject to change according to the group needs)
• Crafting a strong argument
• Finding the right tone for your writing
• Using the correct verb tense
• Writing in the passive voice: when and why to do it, or not.
• Using the right punctuation (including commas!)
• Organizing your writing
• Incorporation outside sources into your writing: paraphrasing, synthesizing, and summarizing
• Expanding your vocabulary and finding the right word