Doing and Undoing Comparisons
The "forum for inter-american research" (fiar), an electronic journal established by the American Studies Programme at Bielefeld University in 2008, is the e-journal of the International Association of Inter-American Studies (IAS). The current issue Doing and Undoing Comparisons: Practices of Comparing in the Americas" includes contributions by the members of subproject B02 of the SFB 1288: Pablo Campos, Olaf Kaltmeier, Wilfried Raussert, and Susana Rocha Teixeira, and also by Marcus Hartner of the subproject B05.
Find the issue here as PDF.
The issue's contributions:
- Susana Rocha Teixeira, Bielefeld University: Doing and Undoing Comparisons: An Introduction
- Wilfried Raussert, Bielefeld University: 'We Wear the Mask': Modern 'Masks', Reflexivity, and Black Practices of Comparing in the Harlem Renaissance
- Gudrun Rath, University of Art and Design, Linz: Contesting Inequality. Joseph Anténor Firmin's De l'égalité des races humaines, 133 years on
- Olaf Kaltmeier, Bielefeld University: Invidious Comparison and the New Global Leisure Class: On the Refeudalization of Consumption in the Old and New Gilded Age
- Claudia Hachenberger, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg: Narcos and the Promotion of an U.S. (Informal) Cultural Empire Based on Processes of Stereotyping and Comparison
- Carsten Schinko, University of Stuttgart/HU Berlin: How (Not) to Compare White Poverty: Class Issues, Socioeconomic Suffering, Literature
- Marcus Hartner, Bielefeld University: Placing Prospero's Island: (Post)Colonial Practices of Comparing in the Academic Reception of Shakespeare's The Tempest
- Yago Quiñones Triana, Universidade de Brasília: Gilberto Freyre entre duas Américas Latinas: a lusitana e a hispana. Análise da transformação da interpretação do Autor com relação a influência espanhola e portuguesa em América.
- Elena Furlanetto, University of Duisburg-Essen: Declensions: Conceptual Migrations across Empires
- Pablo Campos, Bielefeld University: 'Early' and 'Modern' indigenist Practices—A Comparative Analysis of the Ecuadorian and the Mexican cases
- Kensedeobong Blessed Okosun, Bielefeld University: Book Review: Weird American Music