Research Retreat 2016
The Participants of the Research Retreat 2016 (from left to right): Holly Patch, Natalya Kashkovskaya, Peter-David Friedrich, Madiha Hussain, Dr. Sabine Schäfer, Mehran Haji-Mohammadian, Prof. Dr. Thomas Welskopp and Prof. Dr. Ursula Mense-Petermann Photo by Thomas Abel
Research Retreat 2016
On 18 November the BGHS Research Retreat 2016 took place at the Youth Hostel and Educational Centre Bielefeld. Five doctoral researchers took the opportunity to present and discuss their dissertation projects. In addition to the new colleagues, Prof. Dr. Ursula Mense-Petermann, Prof. Dr. Thomas Welskopp and Dr. Sabine Schäfer (Executive Manager of the BGHS) participated in the presentations and discussions of the projects. Furthermore the participants of the research retreat had the opportunity to enter into an interdisciplinary dialogue between the presentations. In the afternoon the doctoral representatives of the BGHS introduced themselves to their new colleagues. Finally the day ended with a joint dinner.
The yearly research retreat invites first year BGHS doctoral researchers. Besides the presentation and discussion of their dissertation projects the new BGHS colleagues are also welcomed by their doctoral representatives.
The Dissertation Projects of the Participants
- Peter-David Friedrich (History): Reading art – A study of exhibition texts and audio commentaries in museum exhibition situations on the basis of the 18th century up until present
- Mehran Haji-Mohammadian (Sociology): The Rise of Retirement in Iran. A Movement from the Margin to the Center of Social Policy?
- Madiha Hussain (Sociology): An Inquiry into the Political Participation of Females vis-à-vis their Democratic and Civic Socialization: A Case Study of Young Female Activists and Politicians of Pakistan
- Natalya Kashkovskaya (Sociology): Migrant organizations supporting refugees: Boundary Making and Unmaking Processes
- Holly Patch (Sociology): The gendered materiality of singing and the queering of sound - An empirical study of transgender singers and choruses
To get an overview of all doctoral researchers at the BGHS and their dissertation projects, please see: Dissertation Projects